Will Probates * Administrations * Year's Support
Your petition must be complete and legible (please type or print with black ink)
If the decedent's death certificate is not on file here in Houston County, you must provide us with a certified copy of his or her death certificate
If applicable, the original will must be filed with your petition (if original will is lost, there will be further requirements)
A $40.00 initial filing fee will be required at the time of filing. The total filing fees will run between $120.00 and $130.00+ and the balance is payable at the time of the hearing. Personal checks not accepted- please refer to accepted methods of payment on the main page. Please refer to Georgia Council of Probate Court Judges Schedule of Costs.
If a legal ad is required, the fee is $80.00 and you should make that payable to Houston Home Journal. A legal ad is always required for Year's Support petitions, administrations where petitioner is requesting certain powers and waiver of bond and for solemn form probates and administrations with any unknown heirs or heirs with unknown addresses.
If sheriff service is required, there is a $25.00 charge per person. That needs to be payable to the appropriate Sheriff's Department.
For further information, please email Judith Borum at firstname.lastname@example.org
For Contested Estates, please email Kim Willson at email@example.com
- www.gaprobate.org - Georgia Probate Court Online System - Standard Forms available to download in Microsoft Word Perfect (.WPD) or Adobe Acrobate (.PDF) formats. Includes useful web pages such as instructions for the forms, information on the duties of personal representatives, a handbook for guardians, heir determination worksheet, etc.
- www.gabar.org - State Bar of Georgia web site. Includes directory of State bar members, Frequently Asked Questions, and legal research resources. Mailing address -- 104 Marietta St., N.W. Suite 100, Atlanta, GA 30303. Phone (404)527-8700; FAX (404)527-8717
- houstoncountybar.org/ - Houston County Bar Association Information
- www.abanet.org - American Bar Association web site. Includes listing of accredited law schools, legal and professional resources, charities, etc. related to the legal profession.
- www.ganet.org/services/ocode/ocgsearch.htm - Search the Georgia statutes by keyword or code section.
- www.cggs.org/ - Central Georgia Genealogy Society - A group of dedicated individuals from diverse backgrounds with a common interest: genealogy.
- www.gagensociety.org/links.htm - Website for the Georgia Genealogical Society. Includes Georgia specific links (Genealogy societies, libraries, reference topics, etc) and links to general sites.
- www.ancestry.com - A fee-based website, but allows free trial use. Searchable by name, historical records. Includes several links to local resources like census records, military records, reference/finding aids, etc.